Sunday, April 26, 2009

COMM344 - A Baby Shower Part 2

A lot has happened since the last time this beat reporter wrote about the upcoming “Diva Baby Shower.”

The mother-to-be has blossomed and everyday looks more like she is toting a bowling ball instead of a baby (she said it not me) and her hormones have gone from wind gust to full blown hurricanes that can appear in less than 60 seconds.

I have used all my training / skills at reporting in my conversations with my daughter the “almost” mom to be so that I can determine what exactly is wrong, how did this happen and who did it to her.

To all the men out there please note: comparing your very pregnant wife to a beach ball can be misconstrued and lead to a severe case of tears. You also may want to visit Being Dad USA. Anyway I digress…

This week the shower planning was set aside for a more urgent matter. Earlier this week I received a call from my daughter complaining of severe cramping that had her doubled over in pain. Living 1200 miles away this is not the phone call you want to receive at 9:00am in the morning. Using those reporter skills once again and ruling out anything that she had eaten, etc. it was determined that she should immediately go to the doctors.

One hour later, the doctor transfers her to the hospital for testing. All communication now ceases. In this world of being able to instantly reach a person and have access to unlimited data at the touch of your fingers I now was helpless and uniformed. I must say, this was disturbing.

BTW, should you need to contact the hospital to learn more information and they tell you your child isn’t registered or there do not panic - ask to speak to a supervisor.

Several hours later after locating the correct cell phone number and nurse I found out the gallstones mimic labor. She is okay and the baby is doing well too. She was sent home with a new diet, new exercises to do and full knowledge of what labor is going to fell like.

Next week I’ll provide an update on the food preparation day that I will have had with my “let me worry about everything” mother, my “damn I am glad to get out of the house” sister and my lovely yet persistent daughter. Hmmm I think a Mimosa may be needed.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your story. It had me clinching my lip until I heard your daughter would be just fine. Scary, dramatic, and with a happy ending – all is well in one mother-to-be’s world – for now that is. I was able to be with my daughter before she delivered my only grandchild. It was heart wrenching to see someone you love so dearly in such pain. Especially since her labor was longer than the combined time of my three. I love being a grandmother but I don’t look forward to going through that again. We attempt to protect our children from pain that we experienced only to see them go through every bit we did. From scraped knees to child birth it never gets easy.

    ReplyDelete