Sunday, May 3, 2009

COMM314 – Research Report

For my crisis Crisis Communication Project on the flooding in North Dakota I have selected to cover the town of Jamestown. My decision was not based on any knowledge of the ND town / area only that I had previously visited a city in Virginia called Jamestown and had a very pleasant trip.

My research for the project began with visiting the local newspaper’s web site, The Jamestown Sun. The local coverage is quite extensive and the archive of articles will provide me with more than enough data for my report.

Another valuable source for my report will be the U.S. Geological Survey. They have accurate information about the geography of the area and statistical data on flood stages of the Jamestown River.

Another area for research is the town’s web site, jamestownnd.com. On this site I was able to find a listing of all the local officials, information on city meetings and crisis planning. Stutsman County web site also has information on road conditions, water levels, septic tanks assistance and images of the flood.

A very good source of information regarding disasters comes from a national non profit agency, The Red Cross. The agency is a leader in releasing information to the community and media and believes in complete transparency. I will be able to collect data that they have posted on their web site from all the steps that the organization has taken in assisting the flood ridden town and victims.

Other research will include information from news stations, national newspaper outlets, radio stations, and some historical data on the area regarding previous flooding. Other information comes fro Valley City State University where I have been receiving constant updates on the situation in ND and the Salvation Army who has been instrumental in organizing volunteers for the flood areas.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your research for your project. The U.S. Geological Survey should provide very interesting information and one that I would have never thought of.

    Jamestown has had quite a time of it too. I haven't really kept up on their issues, but I know I was surprised when they started having issues.

    I wonder what we would do without the use of technology to ask for help or keep everyone informed of what is happening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have aa very good start to your final crisis research project. I think that you will have fun find out information on Jamestown.

    I think that it's great that you aren't doing your project on something your familiar with. You are challenging yourself to really research without a base of your own knowledg

    Good job and good luck! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete