Sunday, May 10, 2009

COMM344 - Beat Report Reflects on Mother's Day

What can I say I am human and have found out that the older I get the slower I get. One day you too will discover that you absolutely love the “oh so comfortable” bed and don’t need to stay up until the cows come home.

So this week instead of hitting the town I hit the house to prepare it for the move to Maryland, yes that’s right we’re leaving Florida to head to College Park, MD. “Fear the Turtle!”

I digress… Partyless, I thought what can Iblog about this week? Not about a party, place or thing how about a day of remembrance something that is dear to me. I got it lets blog about Mother’s Day!

This week I sent a card to my daughter – her first mother’s day card. For a moment I felt incredible old then a more positive emotion replaced that feeling, I felt blessed. I had watched this child grow up to become a mother a role she seems ready to tackle. Did I mention that I am going to be the cool glamma [check out these great glam-ma’s] that takes “Morgan Reese” to all the fun places?

Interesting that today my mother sent me the note below. I wondered, how did she feel when I became a mom? Did she go through the same emotions? Was she as excited to be able to once again relive the moments of laughter and awe that comes from a small child?

Am I ready? I wasn’t sure until last Sunday when my daughter guided my hand to her abdomen and I got to feel my soon-to-be granddaughter reach out and touch my hand. It was amazing - I remembered all those wonderful moments watching my child grow-up and I relished in the emotion of the moment. I am ready!

By Beverly Beckham and Grandparents.com

When my older daughter became a mother nearly six years ago, I became a grandmother with a brand-new baby to love. But I also became a different kind of mother to my baby. I was useful again. I knew things. I understood. And the most important thing I understood was how much my daughter loved her child.Ten months later, my younger daughter gave birth to her firstborn. "Did you feel this way, Mom? Isn't it amazing? I never knew. Was I as cute?"Motherhood, part two.

That's what grandparenting really is. Your kids grow up, go off to school, move away. And they don't need you anymore. They don't call for advice. And you think, you're done. That's it. The job is finished. And then your kids become parents and you're suddenly back in the game. "Mom, can you?" "Dad, will you?

When a child is placed in a woman's arms — in a hospital, at an airport, in a lawyer's office, and whether the child is a newborn or a 10-year-old — a woman's life changes forever. And so does the life of her mother.I watch my daughters wipe noses and hands, buckle car seats, peel grapes, insist upon "please" and "thank you," wipe up spills, dry tears, read books, blow bubbles, monitor the TV, play games, and work outside their homes. And I am struck by the rigors of mothering — how hard it is and tiring and endless, and how amazing it is that anyone signs up for this job. And then I think, this was once my job. I did all this.

"How did you do it, Mom?" my daughters ask. And they listen to my answer because I've been down the road they're on now and they realize that maybe I know a few things they have yet to learn. The mother-child connection. It changes. It evolves. It grows.In the space between us now there is still no space. It is filled with children — theirs, but part mine. And on it goes. Mother to mother to child, this eternal bond that is recognized and honored on Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you to be able to watch your daughters become mothers. I know as I watched my younger sisters become mothers it was sometimes hard not to give unwanted advice. They had a tendency to do things differently than I did and we all think our way is better!! I was different than my sisters and welcomed any advice!

    I love my sisters dearly and their children are all just as wonderful as mine, even though we all raised them differently. That's what makes us all unique.

    I have two boys and my 16 year old made a comment the other day while cleaning stickers off of his woodend bedroom door! I'm never going to let my kids put stickers on their doors. I just smiled! Time will tell!

    Just like I'm the mother who let my youngest ride his bike through the mud and water. He came home mud from head to toe - couldn't even tell who he was!! The clothes were ruined, but the pictures I got are priceless!!

    I can't wait until my boys are fathers!

    Good Luck to you in your move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post. I don't think a lot of kids realize just how much their mothers or even fathers know and are trying to help them while growing up. Usually kids just push them away and think they can do everything on their own. As I grew older and still am I am realizing just how much my parents really do know more about life then I do. Life is a wonderful thing and I am glad to hear about the new life that will be joining your family!

    ReplyDelete